Struggling for a witty comeback? Thank the Lord for the Bard
It may be the 450th anniversary of the birth of William Shakespeare but the Bard’s eloquence and wit still resonates in 2014.
The era of the social network, internet connectivity and the online generation is a million miles away from the prose of Shakespeare’s day.
But there’s a place where the modern social network and Shakespeare sit happily side by side – the trade in insults.
There’s some noble modern day putdowns oft used by the top wits of the day on social media. Today’s stand-up comedians are known use Twitter and Facebook to test out new ways to deal with hecklers.
But there’s nowt like a dollop of putdown wisdom from the Bard to really shut up the crowing know-it-alls who think they can floor you with a well-placed insult.
Don’t sit there and take it. Use a bit of Will’s wisdom and fight back
Here’s a selection of some of Shakespeare’s best putdowns – gold for the social network troll hunter.
• “Peace, ye fat guts”
• “Thou art as loathsome as a toad”
• “Thou cream-faced loon”
• “You scullion, you rampallion, you fustilarian. I’ll tickle your catastrophe”
• “Away you three-inch fool”
• “Thou leathern-jerkin, crystal-button, knot-pated, agate-ring, puke-stocking, caddis-garter, smooth-tongue, Spanish pouch”
• A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are toss’d with”
• “Thou art the best of the cut-throats”
Thanks Will. And Happy Birthday.
Want more information? Contact us here