Challenge & Solution
Brazen was asked to promote the screenings of the 2018 World Cup across Showcase Cinemas’ 21-strong estate – getting bums on the comfiest of leather reclining seats in the quieter summer period.
So we pledged to screen every single match FOR FREE at Showcase Cinemas with a campaign starring good old fashioned PR stunts, experiential activity in cinema, video content and media relations programme.
First, to promote the free screenings, we made the iconic World Cup trophy entirely out of POPCORN. The replica, which stood at 75cm tall, was photographed at Showcase’s flagship Cinema de Lux site in Southampton, where it stayed for the duration of the tournament. Cue blanket coverage across the UK promoting the free screenings.
Then, as England silenced the doubters and made their way out of the group stage, we scored a Guinness World Record attempt, partnering with football freestyler John Farnworth, who attempted a new record for the most pieces of popcorn kicked and caught in his mouth in one minute.
Results & ROI
- 56 pieces of coverage inc 17 national hits
- John’s GWR popcorn attempt secured blanket national coverage, with The Sun, Independent and UNILAD all running the content & story
- Campaign reach of 58 Million
- Cost per impression of £0.0002
- Additional 30,000+ fans attended World Cup screenings at Showcase Cinemas